Manga is the Japanese word for comics and printed cartoons. (Anime, on the other hand, is an animated caricature for TV or film). Although the manga is essentially a caricature, manga occupies a higher place in Japanese culture than comics in American society. The manga is highly respected as art and as a form of popular literature. In fact, much of the adult population in Japan reads the manga and several of the leading manga magazines in Japan sell several million copies each week.
This should tell you that manga is not just about children.
In what kind of history would you be interested?
A hard-line detective hired to track down a missing girl?
A world dominated by animal-human hybrids after an apocalyptic war in 2054?
An adventure as a boy-knows a girl-knows a giant robot?
A historical work that revolves around the gloomy generals of the Genpei War?
A successful journalist who welcomes a handsome vagabond as a pet when her boyfriend leaves her?
There are hundreds of stories to choose from in manga books and there is something that satisfies all tastes. In addition, many manga titles combine witty images and frames with nuanced stories for a very entertaining and addictive reading.
Manga is generally classified into different genres. The most popular include:
- Shonen manga for boys and teenagers male
- Shojo manga for girls and teenagers
- kodomo for children
- redisu for adult women
- seinen for adult men
- Jidaimono is historical drama
- Suiri is crime and murder
- ecchi is an erotic meal
So, how to start with Manga? Easy.
1. Enter the store. Most of the large bookstores have a section devoted to manga, but to get a wide variety of titles, try a comic book store. Either way, manga books usually have colored caps and perhaps also the first pages, but the rest of the story is usually black and white.
2. Look through the books, read them a little. Stop when you find something you like and take it home.
3. If you feel comfortable surfing the Internet, read manga online first. Do a search of one of the many directories of manga sites online and scan those sites to find titles that are interesting. Many of the sites will show the manga book drawing and the text of your website.
Remember that when you read the manga, read the frames from right to left. Often, when you open a manga, as you would with a normal book, there will often be a page that will tell you how to read it.
Try some manga titles to get an idea of what you like. Once you find the title you like, you can search for more equal or similar titles with that editor. Search the publisher’s website in English at the beginning of the book, then review that site; It probably contains descriptions of all your books and maybe even a small sample online.